|Jump To||Cost Of Living||Popular Culture||News and Events||Technology||World Leaders||2003 Calendar|
Cost of Living 2003How Much things cost in 2003 Average Cost of new house $246,300.00
Average Median Income $45,016.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.83
- The new United States Department of Homeland Security officially begins operation
- United States plans for an invasion of Iraq due to an imminent threat from weapons of mass destruction
- The United States and the United Kingdom start with their shock and awe campaign with a massive air strikes on military targets in Baghdad before the invasion of Iraq by Land Forces.
- Saddam Hussein, former President of Iraq, is captured in Tikrit by the U.S. 4th Infantry Division.
- A major severe weather outbreak spawned more tornadoes than any week in U.S. history. 393 tornadoes were reported in 19 states
- Earthquake in Boumerdès region of northern Algeria - 2,200 killed
- Lance Armstrong wins his fifth Tour De France
- Do Not Call List starts providing consumers on June 27th with an opportunity to limit telemarketing calls.
- Armed undercover "sky marshals" are used on Aircraft to prevent terrorist attacks following 9/11
- Americans rename "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries" in protest to France's stand on Iraq
- Toyota overtakes Chrysler to get the number three slot in US Car Sales
- Ex-soldier John Muhammad is found guilty of the Washington sniper shootings
- 10's of thousands of Harley Owners gather in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to celebrate 100 years of Harley-Davidson Motor Cycles.
- The last old-style Volkswagen Beetle rolls off its production line in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico
- Italy suffers a near countrywide blackout when electricity supplies fail
- The highest temperature ever recorded in the UK - 38.5°C (101.3°F) at Brogdale near Faversham in Kent
- A car bomb attack in the holy city of Najaf, Iraq has left nearly 100 dead including a leading Shia Muslim politician Ayatollah Hakim.
- Voters recall Governor Gray Davis from office and elect Arnold Schwarzenegger to succeed him.
- Two large car bombs are exploded in busy area's of Bombay killing 50 and injuring nearly 150.
- The wanted terrorist Abul Abbas is captured in Baghdad
- Army Pfc. Jessica Lynch is amongst those captured US Troops free her 9 days later
Unlike many other sites we are not sponsored and do not ask for donations but hope our visitors will support us by purchasing products from our
"Taking You Back In Time" Range
including Year In History Prints, Personalized Newspaper Front Pages, Year In History Mugs, Anniversary Mugs including our
Happy 30th Birthday 1986 Coffee Mug
All our products are Researched / Designed / Baked / Printed etc. by us as a way of supporting the ongoing work on
The People History
Thank You From Steve and Zoe
- A massive earthquake devastates southeastern Iran. Over 40,000 killed
- In France a 104 degree heat wave kills approximately 5,000
- Dafur Rebels begin attacking Sudanese government targets, bringing a swift military and police campaign to Darfur causing millions to flee their homes.
- President George W. Bush on the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln announces major combat in Iraq is over on May 1st
- US Interest Rates at 45 year record low of 1% and core inflation rate of 37 year record low 1.3%
- Justice Roy Moore, is suspended when he refused to take down the Ten Commandments from an Alabama state justice building.
- Hurricane Isabel claims 40 lives and leaves six million people without power
- Kyoto Protocol in danger of failing following International Climate Conference in Moscow
- Terrorists bomb the United Nations Baghdad Headquarters
- Terrorists from Al-Qaeda drive two trucks packed with explosives and bombs into the Bet Israel and Neve Shalom synagogues in Istanbul, Turkey killing 27
- Suicide bomb attacks on British interests in the Turkish city of Istanbul kill 27 and injure 400
- The Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrates over Texas upon reentry, killing all seven astronauts onboard.
- The highly infectious disease SARS ( Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome ) spreads from China, Singapore and Vietnam, Worldwide nearly 9,000 People are effected in 15 countries and over 800 die from the effects.
- Human Genome Project successfully completed with 99% of the human genome sequenced to 99.99% accuracy.
- Secretary of State Colin Powell urges the U.N. Security Council to move against Iraq due to possession of weapons of mass destruction
- In the biggest blackout in the history of the north America some 50 million people in the northeastern states of US and southern Canada lose power.
- The birth of Prometea, the first cloned horse by Italian scientists.
- The space probe Galileo makes a fiery dive into Jupitors atmosphere it was launched in 1989 and is one of the most successful NASA Projects.
- Concorde makes its last commercial flight, bringing the era of airliner supersonic travel to a close, at least for the time being
- Arnold Schwarzenegger is elected Governor of California
- Libya agrees to give Up Chemical Weapons
- Saddam Hussein is captured by U.S. forces
- Concerns continue to grow over possible Asian bird flu outbreak also known as avian influenza.
Popular Culture 2003
- The ABC's 20/20 airs the controversial Granada Television documentary Living with Michael Jackson
- Keiko the Orca made famous by the "Free Willy" movies, dies
- The Recording Industry Association of America (or RIAA) files copyright lawsuits against Internet users for trading songs online
- Apple launches Itunes which becomes a major success selling 10 million songs within 4 months of launch
- A white tiger attacks Roy Horn of the duo "Siegfried & Roy" leaving him partially paralyzed
- Michael Jackson is booked on suspicion of multiple counts of child molestation ( later acquitted )
- JK Rowling's fifth Harry Potter book "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is released
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- Finding Nemo
- The Matrix Reloaded
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- Bruce Almighty
- The Last Samurai
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
- The Matrix Revolutions
- X2: X-Men United
- Bad Boys II
- Lost in Translation
What do you remember ? Did you go to a Concert that year ?
Please take the time to post your memory on this Page
- Amanda Perez
- Elton John
- Christina Aguilera
- David Gray
- Limp Bizkit
- Sheryl Crow
- Hilary Duff
- Norah Jones
- Shania Twain
- Avril Lavigne
- 50 Cent
- Clay Aiken
- Kylie Minogue
- Kelly Clarkson
- Justin Timberlake
- Fleetwood Mac
- P. Diddy
Major World Political Leaders 2003Australia Prime Minister John Howard Brazil President Fernando Henrique Cardoso Till 1 January
Brazil President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva From 1 January
Canada Prime Minister Jean Chrétien till December 12,
Canada Prime Minister Paul Martin from December 12,
China Chairman of the People's Republic of China Jiang Zemin Till March 23
China Chairman of the People's Republic of China Hu Jintao From This Day In History March 23rd
France President Jacques Chirac
Germany Chancellor Gerhard Schröder
India Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Italy Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi
Japan Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi Mexico President Vicente Fox Russia / Soviet Union
General Secretary of the CPSU Vladimir Putin South Africa State President Thabo Mbeki United States President George W. Bush United Kingdom Prime Minister Tony Blair