Popular Culture 1928U.S.
- The cartoon star Mickey Mouse appears on November 18th in Steamboat Willie, an animated 1928 short film produced by Walt Disney.
- Decline and Fall is published a novel by the English author Evelyn Waugh.
- Lady Chatterley's Lover is banned for being to explicit in England and the US.
- The First Yo Yo Factory Opens making YoYo's in Santa Barbara, California.
- The House at Pooh Corner by Author A. A. Milne is published in England.
- "Diga Diga Doo" by Duke Ellington and His Cotton Club Orchestra.
Born This YearAnne Sexton November 9th
Che Guevara June 14th
Shirley Temple April 23rd
Ariel Sharon February 26th
From Our Hats, Shoes and More from 1928 Page
From Our 1928 Tops, Dresses and Skirts Page
- Aviator Amelia Earhart becomes the first woman to successfully pilot an aircraft across the Atlantic Ocean.
- Alexander Flemming discovered penicillin in 1928 and changed the world of modern medicines by introducing the age of antibiotics and his discovery of penicillin has, and still, saves millions of people.
- Home Pregnancy Test is first introduced which tests for the presence of hCG which doubles every 48 hrs during early pregnancy and is checked using a urine sample. Introduced by Selmar Aschheim and Bernard Zondek.
- Iron Lung Philip Drinker and Louis A. Shaw professors at the School Of Public Health at Harvard University invent the Iron Lung.
Inventions, Inventors and Country (or attributed to First Use)
Antibiotics England by Alexander Fleming
Iron Lung USA by Philip Drinker and Louis A. Shaw
Sliced Bread maker USA by Otto Frederick
Bubble Gum first called Double Bubble USA by Walter E Diemer
What News Events Happened in 1928U.S.
- The Okeechobee Hurricane or Hurricane San Felipe Segundo was a deadly hurricane that struck the Leeward Islands, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, and Florida on September 16th.
- Japan Breaks off relations with China following the attacks in China by Japanese.
- A major hurricane strikes West Palm Beach in Florida causing the loss of over 500 lives.
- Major earthquake destroys the town of Corinth leaving very few buildings standing in Greece.
- Ten world famous feminist leaders stormed the gates of the French presidential palace.
- The Summer Olympics are held for the first time in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Italian Dirigible Italia (Airship ) is lost on May 29th while trying to reach the North Pole.
- The Olympic Winter Games are held for the first time in the country in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
- 300,000 face famine after severe hurricane destroys crops in Puerto Rico.
- on March 12th the St. Francis dam collapses causing a massive wave into the San Francisquito Canyon in California flooding the towns of Castaic Junction, Fillmore, and Bardsdale and killing an estimated 500 plus although the exact number is not known.
Major World Political LeadersAustralia Prime Minister Stanley Bruce Brazil President Washington Luís Canada Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King
Italy Prime Minister Benito Mussolini
Japan Prime Minister Giichi Tanaka Mexico President Plutarco Elías Calles until 30 November
Mexico President Emilio Portes Gil From 1 December
General Secretary of the Central Committee Joseph Stalin South Africa Prime Minister James Barry Munnik Hertzog United States President Calvin Coolidge United Kingdom Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin
United States Presidential Election 1928 Herbert Hoover (Republican) Defeats Al Smith (Democrat).