|Cost Of Living||Popular Culture||World War II||Other Events||Technology||Born This Year||World Leaders||1941 Calendar|
World War II 1941Germany
- The war in Europe continues to escalate with countries joining on one side or the other , and large number of civilian casualties on both sides due to the use of bombing
- In the North Atlantic, the German battleship Bismarck sinks the HMS Hood on May24th killing all but three crewman on what was the pride of the Royal Navy. Fairey Swordfish aircraft from the carrier HMS Ark Royal fatally cripple the German battleship Bismarck in torpedo attack. and the attack that follows by Navy Warships sinks the Bismark on May 27th
- Germany attacks the Soviet Union on October 11th and then begins an all out offensive of Moscow.
- The HMS Ark Royal is torpedoed by a German U-boat
- German Aircraft sink a Russian Hospital Ship killing 7,000
- Germany gets within 50 miles of Kiev in Russia
- Nazis take and occupy Athens in Greece
- The United Service Organizations (USO) begins operations providing coffee, donuts, and entertainment to US military forces
- The Mt. Rushmore sculpture featuring US Presidents is completed by Gutzon Borglum
- Germany invades Yugoslavia
- Hitler and Mussolini announce they are at war with America who retaliates with its own declaration of war .
- Japanese Navy launches a surprise attack consisting by the Imperial Japanese Navy on December 7th of the United States fleet at Pearl Harbor, thus drawing the United States into World War II.
- A bill creates the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day
- Willy's Jeep Introduced for use by the US Army
- Rudolf Hess, parachuted into Scotland on a peace mission and is captured by British forces.
- U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt is inaugurated for his 3rd term as US President.
- U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Lend Lease Act providing military aid to the Allies
- Churchill launches the "V for Victory" campaign across Europe
- Enigma Code Is Broken
- U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the GI-bill to provide financial aid to veterans returning from World War II.
- Winston Churchill addresses a joint meeting of the United States Congress about War In Europe
- Germany Begins the Siege of Leningrad which lasts until 1944
- United Stated officially declares war on Japan
- Citizen Kane Written and Directed By Orson Wells ( He also acted in the movie )
- The Maltese Falcon
- "Chattanooga Choo Choo " by Glenn Miller
- "Daddy " by Sammy Kaye
- "Green Eyes " by Jimmy Dorsey
- "I'll Be with You in Apple Blossom Time " Andrews Sisters
Born This YearLinda McCartney September 24th
Chubby Checker October 3rd
Paul Simon October 13th
Pete Best ( Original Beatle ) November 24th
Paul Anka July 30th -- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joan Baez January 9th -- Staten Island, New York, U.S.
Beau Bridges December 9th -- Los Angeles, California, USA
Mama Cass September 19th -- Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
Dick Cheney January 30th -- Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
Julie Christie April 14th -- Chabua, Assam, British India
Desmond Dekker July 16th -- Kingston, Jamaica
Neil Diamond January 24th -- New York City, United States
Placido Domingo January 21st -- Madrid, Spain
Art Garfunkel November 5th -- Forest Hills, New York, U.S.
Wilson Pickett March 18th -- Prattville, Alabama, U.S.
Otis Redding September 9th -- Dawson, Georgia, U.S.
Percy Sledge November 25th -- Leighton, Alabama, U.S.
Martha Stewart August 3rd -- Jersey City, New Jersey U.S.
Tommy Thompson November 19th -- Elroy, Wisconsin, U.S.
Susannah York January 9th -- Chelsea, London, England
- The first RAF aircraft equipped with radar
- The Gloster-Whittle E 28/39 Jet aircraft flies successfully over Cranwell, England
Major World Political LeadersAustralia Prime Minister Robert Menzies Till 28 August
Australia Prime Minister Arthur Fadden From 28 August
Australia Prime Minister Arthur Fadden Till 7 October
Australia Prime Minister John Curtin From 7 October
Brazil President Getúlio Vargas Canada Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King
Germany Chancellor Adolf Hitler
Italy Prime Minister Benito Mussolini
Japan Prime Minister Fumimaro Konoe Till 18 October
Japan Prime Minister Hideki Tojo From 18 October
Mexico President Manuel Ávila Camacho Russia / Soviet Union
General Secretary of the Central Committee Joseph Stalin South Africa Prime Minister Field Marshal Jan Christiaan Smuts United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt United Kingdom Prime Minister Winston Churchill