|Jump To||Cost Of Living||Popular Culture||News and Events||Technology||World Leaders||2002 Calendar|
Cost of Living 2002How Much things cost in 2002 Average Cost of new house $228,700.00
Average Median Income $42,409.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.61
Events 2002European Union
- The Euro becomes the official currency of twelve of the European Union's Members
- The European Union votes to add 10 new countries to the EU.
- Mount Nyiragongo Volcano erupts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo displaces an estimated 400,000 people
- Kmart Corp becomes the largest retailer in American history to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
- Miss World Pageant causes Riots Nigeria
- Largest Expansion in the History of NATO with seven Eastern and Central European Nations accepted as new members Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovenia and Slovakia.
- Slobodan Miloševic trial former President of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia begins at the United Nations war crimes tribunal in The Hague
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother of the UK Dies
- Chechen Rebels take 800 theatergoers hostage in Moscow and threaten to blow up the theatre , 3 days later special forces storm the building resulting in the death of 128 hostages and 41 rebels
- Queen Elizabeth II's celebrates her Golden Jubilee
- Leaders of the world's richest nations meeting at the G8 summit in Canada agree to help the poorest countries in the world by providing funding for economic and political development in Africa.
- Two Snipers in Washington DC area kill 10 people and injure 3 more spreading panic and fear
- Tornadoes strike a number of southern states from Louisiana to Pennsylvania on Veterans Day killing 36
- U.S. President George W. Bush makes his first public speech since taking office.
In January of 2002, only a few months after the World Trade Center tragedy of September 11, 2001, United States President George W. Bush makes one of the most memorable State of the Union Addresses of any president. In his annual presidential speech he addressed the pressing problem of terrorism and the development of weapons used for mass destruction. During the speech he also describes "regimes that sponsor terror" as an Axis of Evil, in which he includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea. He outlined plans for combating terrorists such as Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban and urged for a greater focus on “Homeland Security.” This was his first public speech as President of the United States.
- Iraq rejects new U.N. weapons inspections proposals
- WorldCom files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the largest such filing in United States history
- United Airlines files for bankruptcy protection
- Elizabeth Smart is kidnapped from her family's Salt Lake City home ( Found Alive in 2003 )
- Priests Indiscretion uncovered when files show major cover up for priests accused of abuse
- A wildfire destroys almost a half million acres in Oregon’s Siskiyou National Forest
- Andrew Fastow former chief financial officer for Enron Corp is indicted on 78 counts of wire fraud, money laundering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice.
- Forest fires in Colorado have destroyed nearly 100,000 acres of land making them the worst in the states history.
- Former United States President Jimmy Carter is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in October of 2002. Carter was given the prize for dedicating his life promoting peace and democracy, and working to advance human rights and social issues. Carter’s greatest achievement came in 1978 during his presidency when he brokered a peace deal between Egypt and Israel, but the majority of his work came after he left office. He was active in advocating for human rights and working as a mediator in international conflicts. He also established the Carter Center to fight against social and economic injustice and was heavily involved in the affordable home-building charity, Habitat for Humanity.
- Terrorists detonate massive bombs in two nightclubs in Kuta, Bali, killing 202 and injuring over 300.
- Mobs of Muslims Burn the Sabarmati Express Train Killing 57 Hindu Pilgrims
- The Basque terrorist organisation ETA continues it's bombing campaign in support of its aim for self determination for the Basque country.
- The Prestige oil tanker sinks polluting more than a thousand beaches on the Spanish and French coast.
- Restrictions are further loosened for mercy killings and assisted suicide for patients with unbearable, terminal illness in the Netherlands.
- East Timor Gains Independence From Indonesia on May 20th
- George Bush creates the Department of Homeland Security on June 7th to fight threats of terrorism
- The No Child Left Behind Act is passed and President George W. Bush signs into law
- "Miss B" Granted Right To Die in Landmark British Case
- Expelled student goes on shooting rampage killing 13 teachers at Erfurt, Germany
- A major earthquake rocks Afghanistan and northwestern Pakistan
- A Suicide bomber blows himself up aboard a bus in Haifa
- Estimated 40 million people now infected with Aids / HIV virus worldwide.
- The worlds Earth Summit held in Johannesburg, South Africa
- The Uruguay financial system breaks down with state bank branches and ATM machines closed
- A deadly fire at the shopping mall in International Trade Centre in Ho Chi Minh City
- Terrorist Dirty Bomb Plot Foiled In The United States.
- The plan to create a single Nuclear Waste Dump in the United States at Yucca Mountain, Nevada to replace 130 separate dumps around the US is passed by the US Senate
- Brazil Wins 2002 World Cup in Korea Republic and Japan
- Brazil and Uruguay receive $40 billion loans from IMF to help stabilize economies.
- The Winter Olympic Games are held in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
- Yasser Arafat trapped in his Compound By Israeli Troops until his death in 2004
- The Mars Odyssey finds signs of huge water ice deposits on the planet Mars
- A Huge 660 pound meteorite plunges into earths atmosphere and explodes in a fireball over southern Bavaria a piece of the meteorite is found and named Neuschwanstein after the local castle
Popular Culture 2002Kelly Clarkson Wins First American Idol Contest
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Men in Black II
- Die Another Day
- Ice Age
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- Minority Report
- The Pianist
- About Schmidt
- Gangs of New York
What do you remember ? Did you go to a Concert that year ?
Please take the time to post your memory on this Page
- Michelle Branch
- Vanessa Carlton
- Good Charlotte
- Counting Crows
- Puddle of Mudd
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Kylie Minogue
- Avril Lavigne
- The Offspring
- Christina Aguilera
- The Rolling Stones
- The Coral
- Bon Jovi
- Robbie Williams
- Alanis Morissette
- No Doubt
- Céline Dion
- Shania Twain
- Linkin Park
- Justin Timberlake
Major World Political Leaders 2002Australia Prime Minister John Howard Brazil President Fernando Henrique Cardoso Canada Prime Minister Jean Chrétien
China Chairman of the People's Republic of China Jiang Zemin
France President Jacques Chirac
Germany Chancellor Gerhard Schröder
India Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Italy Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi
Japan Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi Mexico President Vicente Fox Russia / Soviet Union
General Secretary of the CPSU Vladimir Putin South Africa State President Thabo Mbeki United States President George W. Bush United Kingdom Prime Minister Tony Blair