|Other Pages From The Year 1958 Featuring||Toys||Clothes||Fashion Accessories|
|Jump To||Cost Of Living||Popular Culture||News and Events||Technology||Born This Year||World Leaders||1958 Calendar|
Cost of Living 1958How Much things cost in 1958
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 2.73%
Yearly Inflation Rate UK 2.7%
Average Cost of new house $12,750.00 Average Monthly Rent $92.00 Average Yearly Wages $4.600.00 Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents
Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling
Average House Price 2,390
| Part of our 1950s Toys Selection of 250 Fifties Toys |
| From Fifties Fashion Section |
| From Our Fifties Furniture Page |
| From Our Fifties Electrical |
What Events Happened in 1958U.S.
- NASA National Aeronautics and Space Administration is formed
- 14 year old Bobby Fischer wins the United States Chess Championship.
- Munich air disaster on February 6th 1958 - 21 dead, including 7 Manchester United Players
- Toyota and Datsun Cars go on sale in The US
- Nikita Khrushchev becomes Premier of the Soviet Union
- Nelson Rockefeller Elected Governor of New York
- US Unemployment reaches 5.2 million
- US passenger jet flights start with a National Airlines Boeing 707
- President Eisenhower signs the Rivers and Harbors Flood Control Bill into law.
- The first Trans Atlantic passenger jetliner service begins with flights between London and New York on the new British Comet Jet
- Iraq becomes a Republic on July 14th after Military Coup
- Packard Cars end production as the company closes August 19th
- Edsel Automobiles begin selling the Citation and Corsair, Pacer and Ranger cars ( closes down end of 1959 )
- Pope John XXIII is crowned 262nd pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church
- Sir Edmund Hillary reaches the South Pole
- The Microchip co-invented by Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments and Robert Noyce of Fairchild Semiconductors later developed and marketed in US by Intel.
The integrated circuit, an essential piece of technology used in modern electronics, was created during September of 1958 by Jack Kilby. Kilby, a newly-hired engineer at Texas Instruments, came up with the idea to miniaturize all of the parts of an entire transistor circuit and connect them all together, creating a smaller and easy to produce unit called an integrated circuit. While Kilby was not the only person credited with the idea of an integrated circuit, he was the first to create a working model and file a patent for the technology. The creation of the integrated circuit led to much of the technology our modern computers and electronics are based on today.
- The Great Chinese Famine begins in 1958 and ending in 1961 causing the death of nearly 30 million through a combination of natural disasters and poor planning.
- Elvis Presley is inducted into the Army.
- General Charles de Gaulle becomes Prime Minister of France.
- Brazil wins the 1958 World Cup in Sweden
- The Microchip co-invented by Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments and Robert Noyce of Fairchild Semiconductors later developed and marketed in US by Intel
- London Gatwick Airport opens on June 9th after two years of extensive reconstruction
- US Nuclear Submarine " Nautilus " passes under Ice Cap at North Pole
- The US Military says it will be possible with satellites orbiting the earth to make detailed maps from space
Inventions Invented by Inventors and Country ( or attributed to First Use )
Microchip USA by Jack Kilby
Computer Modem USA
Remote Control USA Zennith Corporation
Popular Culture 1958
- The Wham-O company introduces the Hula Hoop; over 100 million are sold.
- The Broadway musical "My Fair Lady" opens in London, with Rex Harrison as Professor Higgins, and Julie Andrews playing Eliza Doolittle
- The Bridge on the River Kwai
- South Pacific
- King Creole
- Elvis Presley
- Billie Holiday
- Ricky Nelson
- Frank Sinatra
- The Everly Brothers
- Ella Fitzgerald
- Jerry Lee Lewis
Popular TV Programmes
- Candid Camera
- The Ed Sullivan Show
- Come Dancing
- The Jack Benny Show
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Check out our Television Programmes From The 50s whenever possible we have included a trailer to jog your memory. Series trailers and more information are found on the decade they started.
Born This YearAndrea Bocelli September 22nd
Tanya Tucker October 10th
Simon Le Bon October 27th
Jamie Lee Curtis November 22nd
Major World Political LeadersAustralia Prime Minister Sir Robert Menzies Brazil President Juscelino Kubitschek Canada Prime Minister John Diefenbaker
China Chairman of the People's Republic of China Mao Zedong
France President René Coty
Germany Chancellor Konrad Adenauer
India Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru
Italy Prime Minister Adone Zoli Till 1 July
Italy Prime Minister Amintore Fanfani From 1 July
Japan Prime Minister Nobusuke Kishi Mexico President Adolfo Ruiz Cortines Till 30 November
Mexico President Adolfo López Mateos From 30 November
Russia / Soviet Union
First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union Nikita Khrushchev South Africa Prime Minister Johannes Gerhardus Strijdom Till 24 August
South Africa Prime Minister Hendrik Frensch Verwoerd From 24 August
United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower United Kingdom Prime Minister Harold Macmillan
Canadian Federal Election 1958 John Diefenbaker ( Progressive Conservatives ) defeats Lester B. Pearson ( Liberal )