Money and Inflation 1980'sTo provide an estimate of inflation we have given a guide to the value of $100 US Dollars for the first year in the decade to the equivalent in today's money
If you have $100 Converted from 1980 to 2005 it would be equivalent to $243.45 today
In 1980 a new house cost $68,714.00 and by 1989 was $120,00.00 Check Examples of Some of the Houses and Prices For Sale In The 80s in Our 80s Homes Section
In 1980 the average income per year was $19,170.00 and by 1989 was $27,210.00
In 1980 a gallon of gas was $1.19 and by 1989 was 97 cents
In 1980 the average cost of new car was $7,210.00 and by 1989 was $15,400.00
A few more prices from the 80's and how much things cost
Camero Coupe $7,571 From Car Prices in the 80's
Pontiac Grand AM $9,965 Nike Air Force Basketball Shoes $54.90 Tailored Style Silk Blouse $15.99 From Prices for clothes and fashions in the 80's
Amiga 500 with Color Monitor $849 From Our 80s Electrical and Electronic Prices in the 80's Hands Free Operating Car Phone History of Mobile Phones $788 Leg O Lamb $2.19 per pound Milk 85 cents 1/2 gallon From Our 80s Price of Food Section
Bunk Beds with Mattress $148 Chrome Sling Chair $76.00 Cheer Laundry Detergent $1.59
ToysThe popular toys at of the decade also signaled the age of the video game in arcades, Games Machines and PC's the most popular games being Space Invaders and Pac Man plus talking dolls were all the rage and at the end of the decade Featured Below Children's very own Sony Walkmans, Talking Alf, Star War Figures, Pound Puppies, My Little Pony and Mr and Mr's Potato Head From Our Vintage 1980s Toys
- During the 80's we also saw the collapse of the traditional communism and the end of the cold war .The fragmentation of communism included the collapse of the Berlin wall and the breakup up of what was the USSR towards the end of the 80's. and leading to German reunification.
- The 80's also signaled a period of the rise of conservatism as the in political and cultural life, caused by Margaret Thatcher in the UK and Ronald Reagan in the USA .
- Argentina invaded and occupied the Falkland islands in 1982 but is subsequently defeated by the United Kingdom.
- China continued it's growth and liberalization but suffered unrest towards the end of the 80's after student's protested in Tiananmen Square on June 4th 1989 and the authorities used force to quell the protests
- Famine in Ethiopia was shown to the world on our television screens in 1984 - 1985 and the pain and suffering caused the western world to find new ways to help including the Live Aid concert and many of the most popular stars contributed their time and performed for free in cities throughout the world , This has to be one of the most successful campaigns ever to create awareness and raise much needed funds by those who have the power to draw TV audiences around the globe.
- Many South American Countries return to democracy after a period of dictatorships
- The mixing of politics and Sport in both 1980 and 1984 Olympics Boycotts by the worlds major powers
Sporting Changes In The 80'sBaseball
Players go on strike again in 1981 they win but lose fans for the game through their actions for striking and from drugs or alcohol used by the players.
During the eighties new stars emerge Larry Bird, Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Hakeem Olajuwon and Michael Jordan drawing fans back to the games .
Association Football (Soccer)
24 teams fight for the World Cup in 1982
Soccer Hooliganism and the Heysel Stadium Disaster give English Football a bad name the Hooliganism continues through to the mid 90's
Miami Hurricanes win college national championships
California Teams The Raiders and San Francisco 49ers Dominate The NFL
The 80's was the decade of the quarterback and the best of them was Joe Montana
The 1985 Chicago Bears with running back Walter Payton considered by many to be one of the greatest teams of all time.
New York Islanders Dominate The First Half Of The Decade
The Great One Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier Help Edmonton Oilers Dominate The Second Half Of The Decade
For More Sporting history, Origins, Events and Changes, Please Check Out Our New Sports History Section.
Furniture From The 80'sIt is interesting looking at the furniture and fixtures you might find in a home from each decade, as we move to more smaller computers why have a Computer Work Station, VHS Tapes No Longer used, Bean Bags not anywhere near as popular as during the Eighties
Home furnishing examples with descriptions and Prices Page
Electrical Home GoodsAs technology improved the size gets smaller and smaller and more and more powerfull, The "Portable Camcorder" replaced by today's Mobile Phone, The Timex Sinclair Color Computer replaced a much more powerful Tablet, Stereo Sound Television now exists as a smaller more energy efficient flatscreen TV, and the latest 50 inch Projection Screen TV can now be found as Flat Screen TV up to 100 inches .
From Our Seventies Home Appliances Section
1980s FashionsVisit Our Eighties Fashion Section Below are just a few examples from our Selection We have seperate sections for childrens and Ladies Dresses
Take a little trip back in time to the clothes of your youth and have a smile or feel nostalgic
- The 80's signaled the start of the computer age, following on from the creation of Microsoft and Apple towards the end of the 70's , the technology and the speed of innovation both in Hardware and Software together with the cheapness provided a speed of growth and take up . The birth of the IBM PC signaled the start of Personal Computers first in the Offices and then into peoples homes becoming an integral part of our lives. following on from Micrsofts MSDOS on PC's to the first versions of Windows a GUI Graphical User Interface
- As well as the Hardware and Software changes a new technology was evolving starting as Bulletin boards later to become what we now know as the Internet invented by English physicist Tim Berners and the beginnings of the World Wide Web
- This was also the Decade that the Post-It was introduced which came from a glue invented in 1968 accidentally while trying to discover a stronger glue at 3M by Spencer Silver
- Another technology that was also just starting was that of cellular mobile phones , in the beginning the phones were big and heavy and hit and miss for signal strength , but as with the Internet would change our lives .
- After many years of ignoring the impact on our environment ,the world also took more notice of the impact that we were having on our planet and more research was done on the effects on global warming through population growth, land clearing of rain forests for agriculture and logging, increased use of fossil fuels for power generation together with our love affair with the car for transport .
Popular Culture 1980's
- John Lennon is shot outside his New York apartment
- MTV (Music Television) is launched
- Floppy shirts, Backcombed hair, Padded shoulders, big hairdoes and white stilettoes
- The Simpsons Is First Seen On Tracey Ullman Show April 5th 1987
- Michael Jackson releases his second adult solo album, Thriller.
Michael J Fox
- Bucks Fizz
- The Jam
- Olivia Newton-John
- Lionel Richie
- Black Sabbath
- The Police
- Tina Turner
- David Bowie
- Whitney Houston
- Culture Club
- Bruce Springsteen
The 1980s was an important decade in the television industry. Not only were great strides made in the way of “pushing the envelope” with shows like Married…With Children, but other programs displayed a stark contrast with family-friendly issues and themes. The Cosby Show began in the middle of the decade and it enjoyed several years as the #1 television program because it was a witty and realistic rendering of family life during the era. It also destroyed the stereotype of poor African-American families that shows in the past only helped to reinforce. Heathcliff Huxtable – the father on The Cosby Show – was an obstetrician while his wife – Claire – was a successful lawyer.
TV Shows 1980s
- Married with Children 1987 - 1997.
- Baywatch 1989 - 1999.
- Chips 1977 - 1983.
- Hill Street Blues 1981 - 1987.
- Highway to Heaven 1984 - 1989.
- Knight Rider 1982 - 1986.
- Dukes Of Hazzard 1979 - 1985.
- The Benny Hill Show 1969 - 1989.
- Fame 1982 - 1987.
- Cagney & Lacey 1982 - 1988.
- Dallas 1978 - 1991.
- Matlock 1986 - 1992.
- MacGyver 1985 - 1992.
- Little House on the Prairie 1974 - 1983.
- Doctor Who 1963 - 1989.
- Columbo 1968 - 2003.
- The A Team 1983 - 1987.
- Laverne & Shirley 1976 - 1983.
- The Cosby Show 1984 - 1992.
- Happy Days 1974 - 1984.
- Cheers 1982 - 1993.
- Taxi 1978 - 1983.
- Benson 1979 - 1986.
- Growing Pains 1985 - 1992.
Other shows that began in the Eighties that are still memorable and popular today include Cheers, The Golden Girls, Miami Vice, and Family Ties. Along with The Simpsons, many of these programs are available as DVD box sets for those who lived through the era and want to experience a feeling of nostalgia by experiencing these shows again.