|Toys From 1982||Jump To||Cost Of Living||Popular Culture||News and Events||Technology||Born This Year||World Leaders||1982 Calendar|
Cost of Living 1982
How Much things cost in 1982 |
Yearly Inflation Rate USA6.16 %
Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 1046
Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 11.50%
Average Cost of new house $82,200
Median Price Of and Existing Home $67,800
Average Income per year $21,050.00
Average Monthly Rent $320.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 91 cents
New Car Average price $7,983.00
US Postage Stamp 20 cents
Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling
Average House Price 23,644
Gallon of Petrol 1.59
Yearly Inflation Rate UK 8.6%
Interest Rates Year End Bank of England 10.00%
| More Prices Examples |
Tomatoes Lb 39 cents
Bag Cheese Puffs 89 cents
Loaf White Sliced bread 50 cents
Comodore Vic 20 $299.95
Satellite Receiver $245.95
Walking / Jogging Machine $199.95
GMC 1500 Pickup $5,400
Sony 19 inch Color TV $499
Outdoor Gas Grill $199.95
New Single Family Homes Just building new choose color and appliances if you order now from $64,900
What Events Happened in 1982France
- Wave of Terrorist attacks in France by Carlos the Jackal
- All time record lows in dozens of cities throughout the Midwestern United States.
- Argentina invades the Falkland Islands / Maldives on March 19th , and the UK sends the Royal Navy, RAF and the Army and retakes possession of the Falkland Islands during the conflict the Nuclear submarine HMS Conqueror sinks the Argentine cruiser General Belgrano. Argentina surrenders on June 14th
- HMS Conqueror sinks the Argentine cruiser General Belgrano.
- Argentine Exocet missile sinks HMS Sheffield on May 4th
- Israeli forces invade Lebanon
- Thousands of palestinian refugees in refugee camps in West Beirut murdered by Lebanese militia
- Israeli returns Sinai to Egypt
- The largest cash robbery in History occurs in New York when $9,800,000 is stolen from an armored car
United States -- AT&T Ordered to Break Up
2. The US government’s deal with the AT&T Corporation stated that AT&T would give up control of the Bell System (colloquially called Ma Bell) that had owned most of the telephone services in the United States and Canada since the 1940s.
3. The agreement came as the result of an anti-trust case brought against the company in 1974 by the US Department of Justice.
4. The break-up of the Bell System officially became effective two years later in 1984 when it was split into seven different independent Regional Bell operating Companies, informally known as “Baby Bells."
- The First Issue of USA Today is published
- Disney Futuristic Park EPCOT ( Experimental Community Of Tomorrow )is opened
- The Provisional IRA continues it's bombing campaign in London and Mainland Britain
- Laker Airways the first of the low cost airlines operating out of the UK Folds
- Around 700,000 demonstrators gathered in New York City's Central Park protesting the proliferation of nuclear weapons.
- Michael Fagan Brakes Into The Queens Bedroom in Buckingham Palace
- The International Whaling Commission decides to end commercial whaling
- Tylenol capsules laced with potassium cyanide kill 7 in Chicago September 29th
- The Mary Rose, flagship of Henry VIII of England is raised in the Solent on October 11th and taken to Portsmouth Dockyard where it is preserved and on show to the public
- Channel 4 is launched in UK
- Lech Walesa, leader of the outlawed Solidarity movement is released after 11 months in jail
- Yassar Arafat elected the President of the Palestinian National Council
- Doctors performed the first implant of a permanent artificial heart designed by Robert Jarvik
- Severe recession begins in the United States.
- The world's largest oil rig ( The Ocean Ranger ) sinks in the north Atlantic
- The Serial killer Clifford Robert Olson is covicted and given 11 concurrent life sentences for the murder of 11 children in Canada
- Italy Wins 1982 World Cup in Spain
- Leonid Brezhnev the General Secretary of the Communist Party dies of a heart attack while in office.
- The Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington DC is dedicated
- Gates connecting Gibraltar are opened after 13 years to allow pedestrian access to and from Spain
- Earthquake and a volcanic eruption at El Chichon in southern Mexico kills thousands
- First CD player sold in Japan
- The Weather Channel airs on cable television for the first time.
- The Soviet Spaceship Vanera 13 lands on Venus and sends back color Photographs
- 20 million Elm Trees die in the UK through Dutch Elm Disease
- The First Commercial use of Genetic Engineering is Launched when human insulin produced by bacteria is marketed
- Times man of The Year is THE COMPUTER
1982 Mens and Womens Fashion ClothesPart of our Collection of Clothing From The1980's
1982 Childrens ToysPart of our toy collection From The1980's
Popular Culture 1982Smileys 1982 was the year a computer scientist ( Scott Fahlman ) from Carnegie Mellon University first suggested the use of Smiley or emoticon as a way of expressing emotion in an email :-)
Freeware first used by Andrew Flueleman and Jim Knopf to distribute their application which allowed programs to be copied, in 1984 the distribution of this type of software changed from freeware to Shareware ( name thought up by Bob Wallace )
- Michael Jackson releases his second adult solo album, Thriller.
- Graceland the home of Elvis Presley opens to the public
- The screen legend Grace Kelly / Princess Grace of Monaco dies on September 14th in car crash
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
- Rocky III,
- On Golden Pond
- An Officer and a Gentleman
- The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Chariots of Fire
- Human League with " Don't You Want Me "
- Bucks Fizz
- The Jam
- Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder with " Ebony and Ivory "
- Olivia Newton-John
- Steve Miller band With " Abracadabra "
- Survivor with " Eye of The Tiger "
- Chicago with " Hard to Say I'm Sorry "
- Lionel Richie
Popular TV Programmes
- Magnum, P.I.
- The Other Arf (UK)
- Falcon Crest
- Hill Street Blues
- Only Fools and Horses (UK)
- Knight Rider
Born This Year 1982Andy Roddick August 30th
LeAnn Rimes August 28th
Kelly Clarkson April 24th
Major World Political Leaders 1982Australia Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser Brazil President João Figueiredo Canada Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau
China Chairman of the People's Republic of China Post Abolished
France President François Mitterrand
Germany Chancellor Helmut Schmidt Till 1 October
Germany Chancellor Helmut Kohl From 1 October
India Prime Minister Indira Gandhi
Italy Prime Minister Giovanni Spadolini Till 1 December
Italy Prime Minister Amintore Fanfani From 1 December
Japan Prime Minister Zenko Suzuki Till 27 November
Japan Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone From 27 November
Mexico President José López Portillo Till 30 November
Mexico President Miguel de la Madrid From 30 November
Russia / Soviet Union
Chairman of the Council of People's Commissars Leonid Brezhnev South Africa Prime Minister Pieter Willem Botha United States President Ronald Reagan United Kingdom Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher