Other Seventies Sections
|Seventies Appliances||Seventies Toys||Seventies Music||Seventies Fashions||Seventies Furniture||Food Prices From The 1970's|
Money and Inflation 1970'sTo provide an estimate of inflation we have given a guide to the value of $100 US Dollars for the first year in the decade to the equivalent in today's money
If you have $100 Converted from 1970 to 2005 it would be equivalent to $517.65 today
In 1970 a new house cost $23,400.00 and by 1979 was $58,500.00 Examples of homes and Property for sale in the Seventies
In 1970 the average income per year was $9,350.00 and by 1979 was $17,550.00
In 1970 a gallon of gas was 36 cents and by 1979 was 86 cents
In 1970 the average cost of new car was $3,900.00 and by 1979 was $5,770.00 Examples of Models andCar Prices
A few more prices from the Decade and how much things cost
Datsun 210 $3,869 Dodge Colt $4,785 Warm Leather Lined Boots $39.99 Car 8 Track Stereo Tape Player $38.99 CB Radio $147 Medium Eggs 25 cents per dozen From Food Prices Miracle Whip $1.09 King Size Bean Bag Chair $19.99 Porcelain Kitchen Sink $9.88 Quartz Alarm Clock $12.97
Also Check Out Our 70's Seventies Computers Section
Example of a home from our
Country Ranch with 10 acres 3 bedroom large barn fruit and oak trees Vallejo California $59,200 1974
1970s FashionsVisit Our Seventies Fashion Section Seventies clothes and fashions included many of the styles worn today in modified forms but also some very short lived examples that when we look at wonder how and why we ever wore them.
Below are four examples From our new updated Prices for clothes and fashions in the 70's section where we have included over 200 examples of Ladies, Mens and Children's Fashion Clothes and Accessory examples organized by year including dresses, boots, shoes and much more take a little time to browse through them.
Take a little trip back in time to the clothes of your youth and have a smile or feel nostalgic
Electrical Home GoodsAs technology improved the range and sophistication of home appliances offered much greater freedom and uses including "Time Saving Devices", plus as you can see for the second example some items had a 70's look and feel all of their own. But Color TV's still have a long way to go The Latest and Cinema Screen Color TV costing close to $800 in todays money about $4,000. Not included on these examples but can be found on the page are the latest music playing devices including an Eight Track Tape Player and an example of a solid-state Three Speed Record deck and speakers.
From Our Seventies Home Appliances Section
Toys From The 1970sFind More Toys From The Seventies The popular toys at of the decade were The New Digital Based Toys and Computers including Simon and the development of the Atari computer and gaming system. Other Popular toys also included Hot Wheels For Boys and Barbie For Girls, with space, music and pop culture toys also popular.
Furniture From The 70'sIt is interesting looking at the furniture and fixtures you might find in a home from each decade, below are just two examples I found interesting from the more than 20 we have included on our
Home furnishing examples with descriptions and Prices Page
- The oil crisis in 1973 was caused when Arab members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), during the Yom Kippur War, announced that they would no longer ship petroleum to nations that had supported Israel in its conflict with Syria and Egypt , to the United States and its allies in Western Europe. It was also announced that the price for Oil would increase drastically. The west was by now dependent on oil and together with prices quadrupling and measures for rationing the western world went into recession and suffered massive inflationary pressure. At that time the United States did have their own oil reserves and although they were affected the biggest impact was on European Economies .
- After nearly 10 years of war in Vietnam 1973 was also the year that allied forces pulled out of Vietnam
- Another significant factor in the 70's was the growth in women's rights and women's role in society including the ability to decide when where and if they wished to have children ( partly through the availably of the contraceptive pill )
- President Richard Nixon was forced to resign on 8th August as president of the United States due to imminent impeachment related to the Watergate scandal.
- With the continuing Cold War between the East and West the arms race continued with each side trying to find the ultimate weapon
More About Munich Olympics
Popular CultureThe Waterbed The 70's produced many icons , one of those being the modern waterbed created by Charles Hall in 1968, This was fueled by the sexual revolution of the Decade encompassing the Waterbed .
MusicClick To Visit Our Seventies Music Page
- Progressive rock created a new generation of bands including Genesis, Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Pink Floyd. Many other singers and bands also started or strengthened their fan base including The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Queen, Black Sabbath .
- In Europe, the music was not as progressive from bands like T Rex, Gary Glitter and David Bowie, and bands like Slade and the Sweet. and possibly the most successful in the 70's being ABBA
- The Streets of San Francisco 1972 - 1977.
- The Waltons 1972 - 1981.
- Chips 1977 - 1983.
- Ironside 1967 - 1975.
- Lassie 1954 - 1973.
- Starsky and Hutch 1975 - 1979.
- Dukes Of Hazzard 1979 - 1985.
- The Benny Hill Show 1969 - 1989.
- Monty Python’s Flying Circus 1969 - 1974.
- The Muppet Show 1976 - 1981.
- Bonanza 1959 - 1973.
- The Brady Bunch 1969 - 1974.
- Dallas 1978 - 1991.
- Charlie's Angels 1976 - 1981.
- Little House on the Prairie 1974 - 1983.
- Doctor Who 1963 - 1989.
- Gunsmoke 1955 - 1975.
- Columbo 1968 - 2003.
- Kojak 1973 - 1978.
- All In The Family 1971 - 1979.
- Laverne & Shirley 1976 - 1983.
- The Odd Couple 1970 - 1974.
- Bewitched 1964 - 1972.
- Happy Days 1974 - 1984.
- Sanford and Son 1972 - 1977.
- Steptoe and Son 2nd Series 1970 - 1974.
- Taxi 1978 - 1983.
- Benson 1979 - 1986.
Sporting Changes During the DecadeBaseball
Players go on strike in 1972 the first players strike in sports history.
Players gain free agency after 6 years allowing them to demand higher wages.
Hank Aaron breaks the legendary Babe Ruths Record and sets a new record of 755 home runs in 1974 which stood for 30 more years
The ABA or American Basketball Association and National Basketball Association NBA agree to merger accepting 4 new teams into the NBA Denver, New York, San Antonio and Indiana.
At the end of the 70's two major changes in the game happened 1. ESPN and 2. three point line added. Find out more on our History of Basketball Page
Association Football (Soccer)
Television Increases the Popularity of the game to new heights.
Red and Yellow Cards Introduced
German and British clubs rule European Football for ten years from 1974 to 1984
Division I, Division II and Division III set up in college football
The Steelers, Dolphins, Raiders, Vikings, Cowboys and Rams Dominate Respective Divisions
NFL extended its regular season to 16 games
WHA teams join the NHL
First Summit Series played
Bobby Orr and Boston Bruins win Stanley Cup
Soviets Dominate World Championships and Olympics
For More Sporting history, Origins, Events and Changes, Please Check Out Our New Sports History Section.
- The 70's were the start in many ways of the Electronics and digital revolution, with the invention of transistors and Integrated Circuits in the late 60's, companies now found ways to use the technology which caused the phenomenal growth in smaller more powerful and cheaper products ranging from Calculators to Televisions.
- The decade also saw the beginning of the Home Computer due to Intel creating the first cheap microprocessor - the Intel 4004, and other integrated circuits. In the beginning the computers were mainly for the hobbyists and included the Apple II, the TRS-80, the Commodore PET, and Atari 400/800 and with the growth of these home computers Bulletin Boards became a popular way for people to find others with similar interests
- The first use of card access Electronic Locks appear
- As people realized the power of these new home computers a new use was found and that was the beginning of the video game . When we look at those games now we see how basic they were but the technology available and the understanding of what could be done limited those early games.
- With the invention earlier of the microwave oven and now the capability to manufacturer and sell cheaply many homes adopted the technology in their kitchens
- Due in part to the increased use of the 747 a Jumbo Jet able to carry large numbers of passengers across continents air travel booms and causes new problems with pollution, delays and air traffic control
Inventions The Year Invented Inventors and Country ( or attributed to First Use )
Barcode ----- 1973 USA
E-Mail ----- 1971 USA
Floppy Disk ----- 1971 USA by Alan Shugart
Genetic Engineering ----- 1973 USA by S Cohen and H Boyer
Ink Jet Printer ----- 1976 USA
In Vitro Fertilisation ----- 1978 England "test tube baby"
Laser Printer ----- 1975 USA
LCDs ----- 1970 England by George Gray - Liquid Crystal Display
Microprocessor ----- 1971 USA
MRI Scanner ----- 1977 USA by Raymond Damadian
Personal Computer ----- 1975 USA
Space Station ----- 1973 USA Skylab