|Other Pages From The Year 1957 Featuring||Toys||Clothes||Fashion Accessories|
|Jump To||Cost Of Living||Popular Culture||News and Events||Technology||Born This Year||World Leaders||1957 Calendar|
Cost of Living 1957How Much things cost in 1957
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 3.34% Yearly Inflation Rate UK 3.3% Average Cost of new house $12,220.00 Average Monthly Rent $90.00 Average Yearly Wages $4.550.00 Cost of a gallon of Gas 24 cents Bacon per pound 60 cents Eggs per dozen28 cents HI FI Portable Record Player $79.95 Children's Shoes $5.95
Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling
Average House Price 2,330 Average Wages 600
| Part of our 1950s Toys Selection of 250 Fifties Toys |
| From Fifties Fashion Section |
| From Our Fifties Furniture Page |
| From Our Fifties Electrical |
What Events Happened in 1957U.S.
- Toyota starts selling cars in the US, the first is the Toyopet Crown
- Egypt re-opens the Suez Canal
Background: Egyptian coup d'état of 1952 which led to Gamal Abdel Nasser Hussein becoming President of Egypt in 1952, One of his objectives was for British British withdrawal from the Suez Canal which did not happen by negotiation.
1a. 1956 July 26th President of Egypt Gamal Abdel Nasser announces the nationalization of the Suez Canal
1b July 26th Egyptian forces seize control of the canal and implement its nationalization
1c. October 29th Operation Kadesh --- Israel begins military operations against Egypt
1d. October 31st Operation Musketeer - French / British Invasion Begins to take back control of the Suez Canal From Egyptian Control
1e. November 4th President of Egypt Gamal Abdel Nasser orders the sinking of ships in the canal making the canal impassable for Shipping
1f. November 6th Following pressure and condemnation from the United Nations Britain agree to a Cease fire and withdrawal of British Troops
1g. November 7th Following pressure and condemnation from the United Nations France agree to a Cease fire and withdrawal of French Troops
1h. November 8th Israel declares willingness to withdrawal of Israeli forces from Sinai
1i. November 15th United Nations Emergency Force (UNEF) Arrives In Egypt deployed in designated areas around the canal and Sinai and Gaza to ensure British, French and Israeli Forces leave Egypt
1j. December 22nd all British and French troops leave Egypt
1k. December 22nd all British and French troops leave Egypt
2a. 1957 January 9th British Prime Minister Anthony Eden resigns due to his handling of the Suez Crisis and Harold Macmillan becomes the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
2b April Egypt re-opens the Suez Canal for shipping
3 1967 May 16th United Nations Emergency Force (UNEF) are ordered to leave Egypt by the Egyptian government
10 years later during the Yom Kippur War between Egyptian and Israeli forces the Suez canal once again became a focus point of the war due to it's strategic importance for shipping that moves oil from the middle east to the rest of the world. For example to transport oil from Saudi Arabia to the United States 2,700 miles are saved by using the canal rather than taking the long route via the tip of South Africa
- Malaya Gains Independence From Britain
- Asian Flu pandemic claims over 150,000 lives world wide
1. Caused by mutation in wild ducks combining with a pre-existing human strain of Flu
2. 1956 Spring Avian influenza Pandemic originates in China Category 2 ( 0.1% to 0.5% population affected )
3a. 1957 The Final Death toll in the US thought to be close to 70,000
3b. World wide the death toll thought to be in excess of 1 million
Webmasters Note, You will often hear Flu Epidemics / Pandemics described with the name of a species of animal for example Bird or Avian, Swine, etc. The reason these type of influenza ( Flu ) are so dangerous is because when a particular strain for example H5N1 of influenza virus adapts to effect both humans and birds the human body has not previously been exposed and does not possess the antibodies required to fight the particular strain of influenza. In the case of Avian Flu additional complications are caused because of the world wide migration of birds which causes the spread of the strain quickly around the world.
- Windscale nuclear power plant accident on 10th October in UK
- USSR launches Sputnik 1 on October 4th inaugurating the Space Age and the Space Race
1. 1944 September 8th Germany begins using the V2 Guided missile rocket technology against Britain
2a. 1957 August 21st The USSR Launches the first Intercontinental ballistic missile
2b. October 4th The USSR launches the First artificial satellite Sputnik 1
2c. November 3rd The USSR launches the Second artificial satellite Sputnik 2 carrying the First animal in space (a dog named Laika)
3. 1958 January 31st The United States Launches the First US satellite Explorer 1
4. Over the next few years the USSR and The United States continued to advance the technology, but the crowning glory of this period of history has to be the successful landing of a man on the moon by the United States on July 20th 1969 when Neil Alden Armstrong becomes the first person to set foot on the Moon.
Sputnik 1 is often quoted as the beginning of the Space Race, but in all truthfulness the Space Race began in Germany in World War II, and following the defeat of Germany, American, Soviet and British governments all gained access to the V-2's technical designs and the German scientists responsible for creating the Guided missile rocket technology ( Used in World War II, V-1 flying bomb nicknamed the Doodlebug and the V-2 rocket which was a single stage ballistic missile used against Great Britain ) The technology provided the beginnings of mans quest for space exploration.
- Portable Radar Devices Used To Enforce Speed Limits
- South Vietnam attacked by Viet Cong Guerrillas
1. 1945 Vietnam declares independence from the French
2. 1946 France recognizes Vietnam as a "free state" within the French Union.
3. 1946 Democratic Republic of Vietnam attack French Occupation Forces.
4. 1947 Vietminh move to Northern Part Of Vietnam where large numbers support their cause
5. 1950 China and USSR offer to provide Weapons to Vietminh
6. 1950 US offers military aid to the French
7. 1954 40,000 heavily armed Vietminh lay siege to the French garrison at Dienbienphu.
8. 1954 Geneva Convention provisional demarcation line is drawn at the 17th parallel which will divide Vietnam into North and South Vietnam
9. 1956 French troops withdraw from Vietnam
10. 1957 Viet Cong Guerrillas begin Terrorist Bombing campaign and assassinate more than 400 South Vietnamese officials in Saigon ( South Vietnam )
I have included some of the history up to this point in time to offer an indication of the reasons behind the Vietnam War which started in earnest following the Gulf of Tonkin Incident in 1964 which was a catalyst rather than the only reason for the United States becoming involved in The Vietnam War from 1964 to 1973.
- Treaty of Rome ( The EEC European Economic Community is formed )
- 1957 was the peak of the Baby Boomer years
1. Definition of Baby Boomer By US Government: Demographic birth boom between 1946 and 1964
2. World War II ends 1946
3. Hundreds of thousands of servicemen return home hoping to set up home with a loved one
4. Governments deal with this in differing ways
5. United States Passes the GI Bill or ( Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944 )
5a. Provided college or vocational education for returning World War II veterans
5b. Provided low interest, zero down payment home loans for returning World War II veterans
5c. Provided one year of unemployment compensation for returning World War II veterans
5d. Resulting from these measures tens of thousands of jobs were created for pent up demand in consumer goods, the construction industry, higher education etc. fueling a healthy economy which in turn helped the population to feel confident enough to have families.
6. Great Britain built tens of thousands of low income homes for returning servicemen, increased nationalization and also provided education and unemployment for returning servicemen, this combined with the increased opportunity provided to export goods to the United States created a boom of children and the economy
7. Most Other Allied countries followed similar routes creating an environment where couples felt the confidence to set up homes and new families, the increased numbers of children helped to fuel the economic growth with even more consumer demand.
Baby Boomers were born following the end of World War II due in part to couples ability to marry and set up some type of home although many were forced for some of the early years to share homes with older family members,
The Baby Boom happened in most of the allied countries following the end of World War II and governments are now struggling with the retirement, health and other issues caused by such a large percentage of society requiring support and facilities for this large and important demographic in a short period of time ( Note from webmaster I am one of those Baby Boomers and can see both sides of the equation , I am at an age where I am not as healthy and approaching retirement age which will mean I will in many ways require financial support ( It should be remembered that myself and most of my generation paid taxes and social security for most of our working lives which means we should be getting back what we put in ). From the younger generation they may well see it differently when taxes etc. are forced to increase to pay for the increased number of baby boomers.
- Martin Luther King Jr heads nationwide resistance to racial segregation and discrimination in the US
- Federal Troops sent to Arkansas to enforce anti segregation laws
- Singapore gains Self Rule
- Tidal Wave follows Hurricane Audrey into coasts of Texas and Louisiana
- The National Guard on the order of Governor Orval Faubus is used to prevent nine African American students from entering Central High School in Little Rock on September 4th and shortly after Federal troops charge defiant protesters with fixed bayonets to ensure nine African American Students can attend Little Rock Central High School in Arkansas
- The Mackinac suspension bridge opens connecting the Upper and Lower peninsulas of the U.S. state of Michigan.
- Foot and Mouth in England Reaches epidemic proportions with 30,000 animals slaughtered
- The House for Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) convicts a number of writers and playwright's for Un-American Activities / Communist party membership
- Physician Francois Duvalier PAPA DOC becomes president of Haiti
- Ghana Gains Independence From Great Britain
- Elvis Presley purchases a mansion in Memphis, Tennessee and calls it Graceland
- The Cavern Club opens in Liverpool ( Where the Beetle's started )
- The Film Jailhouse Rock premiers with Elvis Presley
- "American Bandstand" the teenagers chart music show makes its network debut on ABC
- The Ten Commandments
- Around the World in Eighty Days
- 12 Angry men
- Jailhouse Rock by Elvis Presley
- The Bridge on the River Kwai
- The Three Faces of Eve
- The Cat in the Hat - Dr. Seuss
- From Russia with Love - Ian Fleming
- The Guns of Navarone - Alistair MacLean
Check out our Television Programmes From The 50s whenever possible we have included a trailer to jog your memory. Series trailers and more information are found on the decade they started.
What do you remember ? was this the year you graduated ?, what music was being played the year you were born?
Born This YearJayne Torvill October 7th
Nancy Cartwright October 25th
Donny Osmond September 12th
Gloria Estefan September 1st
- Ultrasound scanning pioneered in Scotland
- First Nuclear Reactor plant opens for production of electricity in Pennsylvania US
- The Soviet Union launches Sputnik I,on October 4th the first artificial satellite to orbit the earth.
- Soviets test H Bomb
- Great Britain tests first hydrogen bomb on the Christmas Island
- The Soviet Union launches Sputnik 2. On board is the first animal to enter space - a dog named Laika.
Satellite Russia Sputnik I
Major World Political LeadersAustralia Prime Minister Sir Robert Menzies Brazil President Juscelino Kubitschek Canada Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent till June 21,
Canada Prime Minister John Diefenbaker from June 21,
China Chairman of the People's Republic of China Mao Zedong
France President René Coty
Germany Chancellor Konrad Adenauer
India Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru
Italy Prime Minister Antonio Segni Till 15 May
Italy Prime Minister Adone Zoli From 19 May
Japan Prime Minister Tanzan Ishibashi Till 25 February
Japan Prime Minister Nobusuke Kishi From 25 February
Mexico President Adolfo Ruiz Cortines Russia / Soviet Union
First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union Nikita Khrushchev South Africa Prime Minister Johannes Gerhardus Strijdom United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower United Kingdom Prime Minister Sir Anthony Eden Till 10 January
United Kingdom Prime Minister Harold Macmillan From 10 January
Canadian Federal Election 1957 John Diefenbaker ( Progressive Conservatives ) defeats Louis St. Laurent ( Liberal )