Cost of Living 2000How Much things cost in 2000 Average Cost of new house $134,150.00
Average Income per year $40,343.00
Average Monthly Rent $675.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.26
Average cost of new car $24,750.00
US Postage Stamp 33 cents
1 LB of Bacon $2.97
Ground Coffee per IB $3.44
Loaf of Bread $1.72
Dozen Eggs 89 cents
Barrel Of Oil Tops $30.00 per barrel
- The State of Vermont passes HB847, legalizing Civil Unions for same-sex couples.
- The Tate Modern opens in London.
- The Euro falls to record low against the US dollar
- The new Millennium Bridge across the Thames is opens on June 10th and is closed on June 12th due to safety fears for modifications.
- Concorde Air France Flight 4590 crashes just after takeoff from Paris killing all 109 aboard and 5 on the ground.
- The UK fuel protests take place, with refineries blockaded, and supply to the country's network of petrol stations halted
- Divers discover the ancient port of Alexandria the home of Cleopatra and Mark Anthony
- 300 gallons of black sludge is released into the Mississippi River causing an environmental disaster
- In Aden, Yemen, the USS Cole is badly damaged by two suicide bombers on October 12th
- Pope John Paul II visits Israel prayed for forgiveness of the sins of those involved in the Holocaust
- California suffers the first of two years of Rolling Blackouts
- The use of mobile phones continues to grow as mobile phones move from the percieved "Yuppie Device" to an essential consumer product.
- President Robert Mugabe pressed on with his plan to remove Zimbabwe's farms from white ownership.
- Mexican voters vote for Vicente Fox as president
- A fire at the Childers Palace Backpackers Hostel on June 23rd in the town of Childers, in Queensland, Australia leaves 15 backpackers dead
- The UK is hit by one of the worst snow storms in the last 50 years bringing public transport to a halt
- The Lifespan in US is now 77.5 years
- Mad Cow Disease causes alarm in Europe due to it's growth
- America Online and Time Warner Combine
- Grand Prix Formula One returns to US after nine years to Indianapolis Motor Speedwa
- The Summer Olympics are held in Sydney Australia
- A cable car taking skiers up to a glacier in Austria catches fire in a mountain tunnel killing 156
- Hillary Clinton is elected to the US Senate representing New York
- Control of the Panama Canal joining the Pacific and Atlantic oceans is handed over to Panama after 75 years of US control
- An earthquake measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale strikes the western island of Sumatra, Indonesia on June 5th
- An earthquake measuring 7.0 on the Richter scale strikes Baku the capital of Azerbaijan
- Over 5 million acres destroyed by brush fires in Western US worst in 50 years
- Tiger Woods becomes the youngest player to win a Grand Slam in Golf
- Ken Livingstone is elected as London's first elected mayor
- U.S. presidential election, 2000 Republican challenger George W. Bush defeats Democrat Vice President Al Gore, but the final outcome is not known for over a month because of disputed votes in Florida.
- Jeffrey Schilling Taken Hostage By Abu Sayyaf Terrorist Group in Philippines
- The Concerns over Y2K passes without the serious, widespread computer failures and malfunctions that had been predicted
- Microsoft releases Windows 2000.
- AOL and Time Warner Merge
- The Dot Com Bubble Bursts and thousands of DotComs go bust
- Faulty Bridgestone/Firestone tyres on the Ford Explorer range blamed for nearly 100 fatalities.
- One American astronaut and two Russian cosmonauts prepare for 4 month stay on the international space station,
- The Worlds largest Ferris Wheel or Observation Wheel ( The London Eye ) is opened
- According to NASA the hole in the Ozone layer over Antarctica has increased by .62 sq miles to 17 square miles in just 12 months
- Mars Odyssey is launched
- The NASDAQ peaks at 5132.52 just before the dot com bubble bursts.
- It is agreed by European Airbus Consortium to go ahead with plans to build the worlds largest passenger plane the Airbus A3xx , it will accommodate up to 656 passengers.
- A destructive computer virus ILOVEYOU spread by e-mail shuts down computers world wide
- First Draft of Human Genome handed over to society on June 26th
Popular Culture 2000
- The popular show Big Brother is broadcast on German private channel RTLH and captures worldwide media interest
- The Latest Harry Potter Book Is Published "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"
- 51 million viewers watch the first season finale of the reality show "Survivor"
- The last of the original Mini's rolls off the production lines
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
- Cast Away
- Mission: Impossible II
- What Women Want
- The Perfect Storm
- Meet the Parents
- Scary Movie
- What Lies Beneath
- Erin Brockovich
- Billy Elliot
What do you remember ? Did you go to a Concert that year ?
Please take the time to post your memory on this Page
- Lenny Kravitz
- All Saints
- N Sync
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Faith Hill
- Dandy Warhols
- Bon Jovi
- Robbie Williams
- Kylie Minogue
- Ronan Keating
- Manic Street Preachers
- Britney Spears
- Robbie Williams
- Craig David
- The Eurythmics
Major World Political Leaders 2000Australia Prime Minister John Howard Brazil President Fernando Henrique Cardoso Canada Prime Minister Jean Chrétien
China Chairman of the People's Republic of China
France President Jacques Chirac
Germany Chancellor Gerhard Schröder
India Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Italy Prime Minister Massimo D'Alema Till 25 April
Italy Prime Minister Of Italy Giuliano Amato From 25 April
Japan Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi Till 5 April
Japan Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori From 5 April
Mexico President Ernesto Zedillo Till 30 November
Mexico President Vicente Fox From This Day In History November 30th
Russia / Soviet Union
General Secretary of the CPSU Vladimir Putin South Africa State President Thabo Mbeki United States President Bill Clinton United Kingdom Prime Minister Tony Blair
Political Elections 2000
United States Presidential Election 2000 George W. Bush (Republican) Defeats Al Gore† (Democratic) and Ralph Nader (Green)
1999 Prime Minister of Canada Jean Chrétien
Canadian Federal Election 2000 Jean Chrétien ( Liberal ) defeats Stockwell Day ( Canadian Alliance ) and Gilles Duceppe ( Bloc Québécois )